Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Passion and Posting

I love The Facebook- it allows me to keep friends in all corners of the globe. Let's face it- most of us are lazy and self centered and really only have interest in what's right in front of us. Occasionally, we miss that friend, who, once upon a time, raced us down the isles of Target in a shopping cart; Or that sassy gal who danced with us in the rain at midnight. Or EVEN that girl you hated who you had a bio class with. We wonder where life took them. Now, we can be all voyeuristic and find out! It is comforting to know that you aren't the ONLY one who has gained 40lbs since high school, and that Bio Class Cow may still be thin, but her children are highly unattractive in comparison with yours (AND she's still doing the sausage roll bangs! OH PA-Leeze!)
It also allows us to connect in some way with family members we DO genuinely care about, but with whom we share little to nothing in common with except unpleasant memories. And when weddings and funerals force us to be together, we always have Farmville to help us avoid the awkward silence. When we wouldn’t know what to say in a phone call or letter, nothing says “Hey, I'm thinking of ya” better than a gifted virtual chicken.
I do observe the Facebook pleasantries. I lob a “Happy Birthday” on the walls of those I may have only met briefly through a friend at the supermarket. I don't go spamming messages, nor “invite” people to fictional events ( sorry, I'm “not attending” WORLD SMELL THE FLOWERS DAY). I try not to be so attention seeking as to cryptically post “OMG, I CAN'T BELIVE IT!!!!” or the like in order to manipulate others into perusing me for information.
The custom marketing is pretty awesome. I do find stuff I like, and if I get tired of seeing annoying pictures of Toby Mac (just because I classify myself as a Christian, does not mean I like crap music) on the right of my screen everyday, I have the power to close the windows marking them as uninteresting, repetitive or offensive. I DO like the “Groupon”, in spite of the recent controversial commercials, and will repost a link if I am totally excited about something (I AM a bit of a coupon whore). 20 bucks for 5 admissions to The Magic House? I am IN. “Like” Chipotle for a buy one get one free coupon? OH YEAH!
When someone posts something with which I find general favor, but have really nothing to say about it, there’s the bless-ed “like” button, used to both affirm the statement that means enough to someone to spout it to the world, and register my valuable opinion without having to go to much effort. And you know what 'they' say, “opinions are like [backsides], everybody's got one”, and something I have in abundance (both in the opinion and [backside] department).
Though most of my personal posts are just random statements to say “hello, world! I'm here!” or images I find amusing enough to share, Facebook is a place where we sometimes register our rather passionate feelings about certain things and spark dialog among people who may have very different viewpoints. While I have seen lengthy comments bantering back and forth about “OMG! Did you see what so and so was wearing at the Grammy's?”many people use Facebook as a platform to make public statements regarding polygamy, human rights, religion, politics, etc... This format of “conversation” is rather dependent on people having the ability to accurately communicate or interperate opinions and ideas in their comments. A lot of the time, I'm just not hip with the cool kids' lingo. Does FB mean 'facebook' or 'fat bastard'? Is 'lol' really 'lame old loser'? I have to figure out if I'm being insulted and don't even know it.
I don't know about you, but I have been actually speaking to someone, where they can hear my inflections and see my body language, and they still took what I had to say as something I never intended to communicate. How many of us when reading an off the wall statement from one of our friends we completely disagreed with, commented or messaged back, “I'm not sure I understand your post. Can you elaborate on what you mean?”. Not me. I look at it and go “Huh?” and just dismiss it, or, if it is one of my 'hot button' issues, I passive/aggressively post the contrary point of view in my own status with a huge obnoxious graphic. Most people are just braver than I am and will comment back how wrong the other person is and give a three point essay why. I, being averse to confrontation- even in written form, prefer my passive/aggressive method.
One of the things I am personally trying to work on is being more compassionate and sympathetic to others. Once upon a time, I took comfort in my Southern Baptist upbringing and whatever the popular christian culture opinion was, was good enough for me. If a pastor was saying it, it had to be the right way to go. If it was on a christian t-shirt, it was gospel and there was no questioning it. There was no other way to look at it, and no grace for those who didn't see things through the same glasses. Frankly, it's just easier to conform and not have to think. But as I have gotten older and faced a few disappointments, owing to my unfair fantasy that people who identify themselves as 'christian leaders' are perfect, I have been forced to think for myself.
Where I would, at one time, only read the headline, form, then declare my ready-made 'conservative wisdom' and PROVE my ignorance, I now read the whole story, and usually have to look between the lines. I am trying to remember to ask myself, “Why would a person do this?” or “What is in their experience that would cause them to make such a statement?” or “Why does this grown woman in 2011 still have sausage roll bangs?” Sometimes, I just get it wrong. I simply misunderstand or make incorrect assumptions- typically based on prejudices I don't even realize I have. I also need to remember that 'tongue-in-cheek' weirdo stuff I mindlessly post on Facebook, just may ignite the fire under someone else's passion and light me up.
SO, if you happen to see me post a link for a coupon to the 'Satanist's R Us' on line store, check to see if it's just spam, my poor attempt at humor, or feel free to ask me “why?”

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm right there with you on this one! I often make a joke on FB and the receiver either doesn't get it or is offended. I really need to learn to control my wayward "fingers" or all sorts of offensive stuff will be splashed across FB!

All I can say is - I'm tryin' and I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

Brandy said...

well kim, you don't have to worry when i'm chatting with you and i say "lol"- you're not a loser... lol :) i also once had a "friend" on facebook write a three point essay on one of my notes about patience because he "disagreed" with me... and i "unfriended" him. what a jerk! anyway, i'm just too nice to use either method of disagreement, passive aggressive or essay. i just look and think to myself, "what a strange ____" fill in the blank. Oh and if blogger had a like button, i'd "like" this. i guess i can still "like" it on facebook. You should feel even more special because you got a long comment out of it as well as a "like..." but now i'm just rambling. LOL

Post a Comment