Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Scary Naked October




No, This is not a pro or anti Halloween Celebration Rant. Nor is it a sad statement regarding the STL Cardinals and their non-playoff standings (because I don't care, being neither sports fan or gambler).
I recently found myself as one in a company of women in a religious setting, who were all there for the purpose of spiritual wholeness and healing. While sitting in this group of strange women, and I found myself noticing their shoes. The woman next to me was wearing the cutest pair of brown leather heels with a peek -a -boo toe. Women wearing lovely accessories (I am distracted by shiny and sparkley things) and flawless make up coverage. Suburbanites donning apparel that minimizes our flabby tummies, camouflages our wide hips and maximizes our bust lines (well, not me so much on that one. If I maximized my bust line, I'd hurt someone). Even those of us who were hiding in extra large hoodies (you know I'm a hoodie girl) wore a pound of mascara and lip varnish. We came on time with our neat notebooks and writing implements, like the first day of Junior High, ready to share our prepared answers and insights. Introducing ourselves in AA fashion- “Hello, my name is Kimberly, and I'm Fearful and Bitter” (“Hello, Kimberly”), sharing our goals and expectations. You know how we gals dress to impress one another. Wanting to put our best foot forward and give people the well put together impression of who we want them to think we are. Um......Hello? This is the MESSED UP PEOPLES GROUP. We are fighting an uphill battle if we truly are there because we want “spiritual wholeness”. Doesn't that require vulnerability, honesty, and (dare I use the popular buzzword) authenticity? I'm not suggesting roll out of bed and show up. I am definitely PRO HYGINE. But, It will take the ten weeks to crack through the Cover Girl Foundation, let alone get to the Spiritual Foundation.
The world's perception of Christians is that we're fake. Guess what? THEY'RE RIGHT! Once upon a time I used to sing in a church setting. I don't today because babies and excess poundage have played havoc on my diaphragm muscle and it would take committed retraining not to suck now, and I don't identify with the skinny girls spotlighted on the platform in their Aeropostle and American Eagle T shirts. I do not fit the image the suburban American church is now marketing in the name of being “spiritual-seeker sensitive”. I am really not hating on the skinny girls (Hello, my name is Kimberly and I'm bitter) You can tell who is there to assist in facilitating corporate worship of God and who is there to bring attention to themselves. I am also not suggesting that Self Promotion is absent by any stretch of the imagination in the more traditional religious setting. I've been a Priam Donna in a choir robe, the robe just gave us one less thing to worry about, our appearance, and gave us one more thing to hide behind. I think the in most spiritual, honest worship setting, we'd all be naked. And when we are all spiritual beings, I believe we will be, but as physical beings we can't just turn off the Carnal, so clothing, for now, is necessary.
So, What the heck is the point? Do I EVER have a point? Not really. And NO I am not starting a Clothing Optional Home Worship Experience. I simply ramble on. I am very much into looking pretty and being girly. And though my Beloved loves me plain jane and naked, he also appreciates when I put effort into my appearance. It helps me look and feel confident, and I'm sure it makes him feel worth the effort. After all, HE'S the one who has to look at me all day. Dressing up is fun and can help you express yourself. And Micky Mouse Dooney and Burke Handbags are cool. Makeup can make you feel like a masterpiece and being the center of attention at times is awesome. However, a setting where you are really trying to gain truth and perspective, may not be the place for all that. So, for the month of October, I will be sans makeup in any setting where by being truly vulnerable with myself and others I can work toward spiritual wholeness and healing. SCARY, I know, but for me, necessary. You have all been warned.

3 comments:

lacy said...

sounds awesome! are you going to bring this up in the group thing? vulnerability is hard to come by when people are getting to know each other and may fear rejection. someone has to break the ice. you're amazing :)

Tony said...

Makeup, no makeup, clothes, no clothes... I love ya however you're dressed. Or not dressed.

Kimberly said...

@Lacy-Well, I have to do it in a way that sounds like I'm only talking about me. I don't want others to KNOW I'm really judging their lack of vulnerability.
@Tony- you too, if you were to choose to wear make up, I would love you still.

Post a Comment